Pages

Summer between the Sun and the Moon

Acrylics on wood panel - 20 x 20 in. (50 x 50 cm)

Summer is going by very fast and already we are seeing fall colors around! I heard nature is a month ahead of schedule and that may mean winter a month early too, we'll see.
In the meantime, since we are still basking in warm temperatures and the sky is still filled with lovely puffy clouds, pollen and birds, I let the season lead me to paint this piece. It took me about a month and a half to complete as this was my first larger abstract painting. It's a shift from my usual 10x10 inches paintings and I learnt a lot, to stretch my imagination and my strokes too. 
I love painting larger, it is freeing, less constricting, but more work as there is more space to fill. I still enjoy the smaller sizes for they are simpler and quicker. Although, you never know when I decide to cover it all and start over, so a small painting can be revisited later and change skin completely!
Back to this one, the title sums it up. I have spent a fait amount of time outside observing. What? Nature, simply. It is a constant source of inspiration for me, and if it comes about in more abstract ways, it's simply my interpretation of what my eyes and mind drink up and retain. Since I don't feel fully in charge, it's always a surprise to see how a painting turns out. I like the spontaneity this gives me.

No comments: